Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Phlebotomist uses fear of needle excuse

This is a first for me. I was scanning a new opinion from the Court of Criminal Appeals, State v Killian (see link below), when I had to do a double take. The defendant said she refused a blood test, because of her fear of needles. Then I read that she was a phlebotomist. She explained it with,
“I don’t have a problem sticking you [with a needle]. I can’t stand to be stuck.” 
Phlebotomy school must have been an interesting experience. Phlebotomy students stick each other dozens of times under the supervision of instructors. 

Concerning legal issues, the case was affirmed, but remanded for a corrected judgment, because it did not indicate a percentage of service necessary before any rehabilitative efforts could begin. Read the case at:

State of Tennessee v. Carolyn Nadine Killian | Tennessee Administrative Office of the Courts

No comments:

Post a Comment