Saturday, December 18, 2010

Remember your oath this Holiday season

I just read a story about a Prince William County, Maryland prosecutor being arrested for DUI and possession of schedule 1 drugs. He is still working and the last line of the story from his boss stated, "He is a good prosecutor".
Please, please, please remember that no part of committing any crime is consistent with the oath we take to be Tennessee lawyers, much less prosecutors.
A criminal act is not something that "honestly demeans myself in the practice of my profession". Don't let the good people of Tennessee down by foolish behavior.

Rule 6, Tennessee Rules of the Supreme Court, requires the following oath for attorneys:
"I do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Tennessee, and that I will truly and honestly demean myself in the practice of my profession to the best of my skill and abilities, so help me God."

No comments:

Post a Comment